2012/13 LRN Change Process
The Single ILR Specification states that once issued, a Learner Reference Number (LRN, formerly L03) should be retained by the learner for any period of study. In 2012/13 Learner Reference Numbers may change for the following reasons:
- In some instances the Learner Reference Number of a learner may be inadvertently changed in the course of the year, resulting in duplicate or incorrect learner reference numbers being entered in the Single ILR, possibly affecting success rates.
- At the beginning of the 2012/13 academic year, some learners might have transferred to new prime contractors from providers who had been prime contractors in 2011/12 but are fulfilling the role of sub-contractor (or who have chosen not to contract at all) in 2012/13. The Learner Reference Number process should be used by the new prime contractor to inform the Data Service of these learners, whether or not the Learner Reference Numbers of those learners have actually changed.
Why is this process in place?
In the case of inadvertent changes to Learner Reference Number, providers should take action now because their end of year Qualification Success Rates reports could be adversely affected.
In the case of sub-contracting or MCL changes, if the new prime contractor does not provide the Learner Reference Number of the transferring learners both their Qualification Success Rates reports and those of the previous prime contractor could be adversely affected. The use of the process will ensure that transfers resulting from sub-contracting arrangements or MCL will have a neutral effect on success rates in both 2011/12 and 2012/13.
This simple process has been designed to support providers in assuring the quality of their data submitted in the ILR by eliminating duplicate and incorrect Learner Reference numbers and ensuring consistency.
Important information to note before informing the Data Service of Learner Reference Number changes:
- The Data Service operates the process regularly before key ILR Return dates and communicates the relevant deadlines for processing the Learner Reference Number changes.
- Changes arising from the circumstances outlined above may be submitted at any time.
- In the case of changes to Learner Reference Numbers for the Return 10 2012/13 data submission, the data spreadsheet detailing these must be returned to the Data Service by 6 June 2013 for Apprenticeships provision.
- Providers must use the file name specified in the Guidance. If this is not used, providers will be asked to resubmit the form.
- Correctly completed forms received by the Learner Reference Number change notification deadlines will be used by the Data Service to account for changes in the first Qualification Success Rate reports to be published after the deadline.
- Incorrectly completed forms will be rejected. The Data Service will notify providers and they will be asked to resubmit a corrected form by the deadline.
- Late notification will not be accounted for until the subsequent period’s Qualification Success Rates are published.
- Providers are advised to submit any Learner Reference Number changes well in advance of the change notification deadline to ensure that the information is accounted for at the earliest possible opportunity.
- Providers should keep a copy of the Learner Reference Number information they submit.
Providers should resubmit all 2012/13 changed records each time they notify the Data Service of ‘new’ Learner Reference Number changes.
2012/13 Learner Reference Number mapping form and guidance notes