2012/13 LRN Change Process
The Single ILR Specification states that once issued, a Learner Reference Number (LRN, formerly L03) should be retained by the learner for any period of study.
In 2012/13 there are some circumstances in which the LRN may change:
- In some instances a learner’s LRN may be inadvertently changed in the course of the year, resulting in duplicate or incorrect LRNs being entered in the ILR, which can possibly affect success rates.
In the case of inadvertent changes to LRNs, providers should take action now because their end of year Qualification Success Rates reports could be adversely affected.
- At the beginning of the 2012/13 academic year, some learners might have transferred to new prime contractors from providers who had been prime contractors in 2011/12 but are now fulfilling the role of sub-contractor (or who have chosen not to contract at all) in 2012/13. The LRN process should be used by the new prime contractor to inform the Data Service of these learners, whether or not the LRN of those learners have actually changed.
In the case of sub-contracting or minimum contract level (MCL) changes, if the new prime contractor does not provide the LRN of the transferring learners both their Qualification Success Rates reports and those of the previous prime contractor could be adversely affected.
A simple process has been designed to support providers in assuring the quality of their data submitted in the ILR by eliminating duplicate and incorrect LRNs ensuring consistency.
In the case of changes to LRNs for the 2012/13 R14 data return, the data spreadsheet detailing these must be returned to the Data Service by 25 October 2013 for Classroom Based Learning, Workplace Learning and Apprenticeships provision.
2012/13 Learner Reference Number mapping form and guidance notes
- The Data Service manages the LRN process regularly before key ILR Return dates sharing relevant deadlines for processing LRN changes; LRN changes can be submitted at any time.
- LRN forms that are completed correctly and submitted on time will be used by the Data Service to account for changes in the first Qualification Success Rate reports to be published after the deadline.
- Providers must use the file name specified in the Guidance. If this is not used, providers will be asked to resubmit the form.
- All incorrectly completed forms will be rejected. The Data Service will notify providers and they will be asked to resubmit a corrected form by the deadline.
- Late notification will not be accounted for until the subsequent period’s Qualification Success Rates are published.
- Providers are advised to submit any LRN changes well in advance of the change notification deadline to ensure that the information is accounted for at the earliest possible opportunity.
- Providers should keep a copy of the LRN information they submit to the Data Service.