Skills for Life Participation Data Definition 2010/2011
1. Learning aims that count towards Skills for Life participation are identified and allocated a type. Replaces the A_SFLPAR variable as from 2007/08.
2. The Skills for Life Participation fields are used to identify learning aims that count towards Skills for Life participation. These derived variables are used across the sector for analysis of Skills for Life data.
3. Learning aims that count towards skills for life participation include aims that count towards the 2010 Skills for Life PSA target and Skills for Life ‘other provision’ that is Adult Literacy, Numeracy and ESOL courses not approved by the Secretary of State but that are based on the national standards.The Skills for Life participation derived variable calculation includes approved aims that do not count towards the 2010 Skills for Life PSA target.
- ILR (LR)
- ILR (ASL)
- ILR (ER)
- ILR (ESF SR)
4. The following variables are used as source data for the calculation of the Skills for Life Participation.
||A09 Learning Aim Reference
||A_SFL Counts towards Skills For Life Target
||A_SFLTYP Advanced Skills for Life Type including Level and Awarding Body
* The oracle LAD database refers to these fields as learning_aim_ref, basic_skill, lsc_lr_wgt_factor_1618_id and lsc_lr_wgt_factor_adult_id.
DERIVED VARIABLES AND DATASETS
5. The definition produces the following derived variable(s)
||A_SFLP Skills For Life Participation
||Aims Standard File|
6. The table below outlines the categories for A_SFLP
7. If an aim has an A_SFLTYP of anything other than 'X', 'U' or Null then the A_SFLP is set to 1.
Skills for Life Participation Flag Sample Code
1. The following SQL code is provided to illustrate the Skills for Life Participation data flag.
2. The following table shows the steps required to derive A_SFLP
||Action/Action if true
||Action if false|
||Does A_SFLTYP have a value other than 'X', 'U' or null?
||Set A_SFLP to 1
||Set A_SFLP to 0|
The following SQL code illustrates how to derive A_SFLP:
L01, L03, A05
, case when B.A_SFLTYP not in ('X','x','U','u','') then 1
else 0 end as A_SFLP
left outer join
on A.A09 = B.A09
Date last modified: 20th October 2010