Widening Participation Uplift Factors Data Definition 2009/2010
L_UPLF78, L_UPLF0910, L_UPLF89
1. The Widening Participation Uplift factor assigned to the learner’s home postcode.
2. For analysis of deprivation based on location and not deprivation funding
3. The following variables are used as source data for the calculation of the Widening Participation Uplift Factors data definition.
||Learner Home Postcode
||Learner Standard Files|
||Widening Participation Uplift
DERIVED VARIABLES AND DATASETS
4. The definition produces the following derived variable(s)
Y = Current Academic Year.
||L_UPLFYY YYYY Widening Participation Uplift Factor Based on Learner Postcode
||Learner, Aims and HE Standard Files|
5. The learner’s Home Postcode (L17) is matched to a postcode file for that year, containing the list of postcodes that generate a Widening Participation Uplift for that year. The information in the postcode file is based on the link between postcodes and local authority wards.
6. The Widening Participation Uplift fields are based solely on the learner’s postcode prior to enrolling and do not reflect Widening Participation Uplift factors assigned to learners for other reasons that are reflected in 'eligibility for disadvantage uplift' (L32).
Widening Participation Uplift Factors Sample Code
1. The following SPSS code is provided to illustrate the Widening Participation Uplift Factors data definition.
2. The following table shows the steps required to derive L_UPLFYY.
||Action/Action if true
||Action if false|
||Does Postcode exist in Postcode file
||Set L_UPLFYY to value of L_UPLFYY in Postcode file
||Set L_UPLFYY to -1|
3. The following SPSS code illustrates how to derive L_UPLF0910, L_UPLF78, L_UPLF89.
GET FILE ‘………………………..LEARNER data set’.
/*Match on the postcode file, which contains the uplift factors, to the learner file, by the learners home postcode.
SORT CASES BY L17.
RENAME VARIABLES (L17 = postcode).
MATCH FILES /FILE = *
/TABLE = ‘…………………………………postcode dataset.sav’
RECODE uplift67 (SYSMIS = 0).
RENAME VARIABLES (postcode = L17) (upliftYY,‘current academic year’) = (L_UPLFYY,’current academic year’).
VARIABLE LABELS L_UPLFYY "L_UPLFYY YYYY Widening Participation Uplift Factor Based on Learner Postcode".
The following SPSS code illustrates how to derive L_UPLF0910, L_UPLF78, L_UPLF89.
, A.upliftYY as L_UPLFYY -- where YY is the current academic year.
Date last modified: 07th January 2010