Skills for Life Participation Data Definition 2009/2010
1. Learning aims that count towards Skills for Life participation are identified and allocated a type. Replaces the A_SFLPAR variable as from 2007/08.
2. The Skills for Life Participation fields are used to identify learning aims that count towards Skills for Life participation. These derived variables are used across the LSC for analysis of Skills for Life data.
3. Learning aims that count towards skills for life participation include aims that count towards the 2010 Skills for Life PSA target and Skills for Life ‘other provision’ that is Adult Literacy, Numeracy and ESOL courses not approved by the Secretary of State but that are based on the national standards.The Skills for Life participation derived variable calculation includes approved aims that do not count towards the 2010 Skills for Life PSA target.
- ILR (LR)
- ILR (UfI)
- ILR (ASL)
- ILR (ER)
- ILR (ESF SR)
4. The following variables are used as source data for the calculation of the Skills for Life Participation.
||A09 Learning Aim Reference
||A_SFL Counts towards Skills For Life Target
||A_LR_1618_WGT_FACT Weighting Factor for 16-18 LR Funding
||A_LR_ADULT_WGT_FACT Weighting Factor for LR Adults
* The oracle LAD database refers to these fields as learning_aim_ref, basic_skill, lsc_lr_wgt_factor_1618_id and lsc_lr_wgt_factor_adult_id.
DERIVED VARIABLES AND DATASETS
5. The definition produces the following derived variable(s)
||A_SFLP Skills For Life Participation
||Aims Standard File|
6. The table below outlines the categories for A_SFLP
7. The A_SFL in Analytical lad = Skills_for_life in LAD
Equivalent fields to A_PWFC in the Analytical LAD are A_LR_1618_WGT_FACT, A_LR_ADULT_WGT_FACT = lsc_lr_wgt_factor_1618_code and lsc_lr_wgt_factor_adult_code in LAD.
These two weighting factors are to be used for all returns (LR, UFI, ASL and ESF SR and ER).
The calculation will look for a weighting factor of “F”, first in the LAD Adult Annual values table, if the weighting factor is not ‘F’ it will use weighting factor of “F” from the LAD 1618 Annual Values table.
Skills for Life Participation Flag Sample Code
1. The following SPSS code is provided to illustrate the Skills for Life Participation data flag.
2. The following table shows the steps required to derive A_SFLP
||Action/Action if true
||Action if false|
||DOES the aim count towards the skills for life target OR is the programme weighting factor F (A_SFL = 1 OR A_LR_ADULT_WGT_FACT = “F” OR A_LR_1618_WGT_FACT = “F” )
||Set A_SFLP to 1
||Set A_SFLP to 0|
3. The following SPSS code illustrates how to derive A_SFLP
/* Skills for Life Participation. Creates A_SFLP
/* Match Analytical LAD into Aims dataset.
Get file =’ Aims data set’.
SORT CASES A09.
MATCH FILES /FILE=(aims file)
/TABLE=’………………..Analytical LAD data set’
/*create new variable called A_SFLP.
COMPUTE A_SFLP = 0.
IF (A_SFL=1 or A_LR_ADULT_WGT_FACT=”F” or A_LR_1618_WGT_FACT = “F”) A_SFLP = 1.
VARIABLE LABELS A_SFLP 'A_SFLP Skills for Life Participation'.
VALUE LABELS A_SFLP
The following SQL code illustrates how to derive A_SFLP:
L01, L03, A05
, case when B.A_SFL=1 or A_LR_ADULT_WGT_FACT='F' or A_LR_1618_WGT_FACT='F' then 1
else 0 end as A_SFLP
left outer join
on A.A09 = B.A09
Date last modified: 02nd December 2009