1. A Dataset is a file that contains one or more records of related information.
2. For the purposes of statistical analysis, collections of data are made at various points of the academic year, the principle collection being the Individualised Learner Record (ILR). The data collected is grouped into various datasets.
3. Each file of the ILR contains the following datasets:
- ILR Aims Dataset
- ILR Learner Dataset
- ILR ESF Co-Financing Dataset
- ILR HE Dataset
4. This raw data is then processed, during which time a number of derived variables are calculated and added to the data. This produces new datasets in a format more appropriate for higher level analysis.
5. The datasets produced from processed data are held in further collections, for example, the Standard Files collection, which consists of the following datasets produced from ILR data:
6. The Datasets produced are available by following the links above, or by visiting the Datasets index.
7. More information about how the datasets are produced as well as the collections they are held in are available on the Collections page.
8. More information on the ILR, including documentation and specification, can be found on the Information Authority Web Site
9. For further information on the processes used, visit the Data Service website.
Last date modified: 7th November 2008